You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 934 kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results.
Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day and you will also have the chance to choose from several days the one that is suitable for you.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- A clear photocopy of the identification document (your passport or European ID card) you indicated on the application form. The document has to be valid on the test day and must be the one you registered on your test application.
- If you are a non-European citizen, you must also provide a copy of your visa.
- Candidates under 18 years of age have to supply written consent (Word 30KB) by parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test in 2015 is HUF 50,000 till April and HUF 52,500 from April 2015. We charge a late entry fee of HUF 7,000 for registrations that happen one week before the test date.
You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
- Online through the online application form. (only VISA or MASTERCARD is accepted)
- Via a bank transfer within five days after registration
Our bank details are:
Account number: Citibank Zrt. 10800007-77237006-00000000
Bank address: 1075 Budapest, Madách Imre út 13-14.
In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write: your name, exam date and the test module (e.g. Zoltan Kovacs, IELTS 6 December 2011 AC (for Academic) or GT (for General Training module)
Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt with the rest of your registration documents.
If you would like to receive an invoice, please request this in advance of paying your exam fee.
7. Complete your registration
Send all documents from step 5 to us by email or post to the addresses below:
British Council Examinations Centre
Madách Imre út 13-14.
B. épület, 4. emelet
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
8. After you register
After registering and sending all the necessary documents you will receive:
- An automatic email with your access code to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- An email two weeks before the your test date with information about the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information please contact our Exams Services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a HUF 7,000 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form (PDF 1MB) along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence no later than five days after the test date. After this deadline we are not able to accept refund claims.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form (PDF 1MB).