Candidates under the age of 35 (but over the age of 14) who take a successful B2 or C1 language exam after 1 January 2018 can claim money back from the Hungarian government for their exam. We have collected some basic information below; for further information please visit the relevant government websites below.
IMPORTANT: You do not need an invoice to claim money back. Read below.
Where can I get more information about the „first free language exam”?
The form to fill in is available here (as of 10 January).
The full legal information in the relevant government decree is available online.
Which exams provided by the British Council does this opportunity apply to?
To our accredited Cambridge Assessment English exams:
- Cambridge Assessment English: First (B2, FCE, FCE for Schools)
- Cambridge Assessment English: Advanced (C1, CAE)
- Cambridge Assessment English: Proficiency (C2, CPE – accredited at C1 level)
Our Cambridge Assessment English exams for Business English (Business English Certificate, BEC) at B2 and C1 level (Vantage and Higher) can be nationalised (nostrified) so that they can be used for the same purposes as an accredited language exam in Hungary. Candidates can request the nationalisation from the Educational Authority (Oktatási Hivatal - Nyelvvizsgáztatási Akkreditációs Központ) for a fee (more information on this is available here). In the case of BEC B2 and C1, the fee of the nationalisation process – currently 10,000 Ft – can be claimed back.
IELTS is an exam that can be nationalised (nostrified) so that it can be used for the same purposes as an accredited language exam in Hungary (more information on this is available here). In the case of IELTS, the fee of the nationalisation process – currently 10,000 Ft – can be claimed back.
How much money can I get back?
Based on the information available as of 10 January 2018, 34,500 Ft can be claimed back if the exam fee payment was made in 2018 (and 31,875 Ft if the payment was made in 2017). For the most up-to-date information, please check the websites above
Can I get the money before applying for the exam?
No. Only successful candidates can claim money back after a successful exam. See details on the websites above.
Do I need an invoice to claim money back?
No. The application form states, that, in absence of an invoice, proof of payment issued by the exam centre can be accepted.
- For Cambridge Assessment English exams, all candidates are issued with the necessary proof of payment document at their speaking exam.
- For IELTS, the cost of the nostrification/nationalisation process can be claimed back. As candidates arrange the nationalisation themselves directly with the Educational Authority (Oktatási Hivatal - Nyelvvizsgáztatási Akkreditációs Központ), please contact the Board directly about this. In case of nostrification, a certificate of payment issued by the Educational Authority is acceptable.
Can I get money back for an exam I failed?
No. Only successful exam takers can claim money back.
Can I get money back for an exam I took last year?
No. Money can only be claimed back against successful exams taken after 1 January 2018.
Can I get money back for an exam I am taking (and pass) this year but paid for last year?
Yes. Please send us an e-mail to email@example.com with the details of the candidate and the exam (type and date) so that we can send you the proof of payment.