Book your exam online and access our free preparation materials today.
When you book an IELTS test with the British Council, you also get included in your test fee:
- Exclusive, free access to our popular online preparation course 'Road to IELTS Last Minute course', which includes 100 interactive activities, 9 video tutorials and two IELTS Academic practice tests for each of the four skills
- Five extra Test Report Forms for free that we send free of charge to institutions you’re applying to (e.g. immigration offices, universities etc.)
Choose how to take your IELTS test and book online
You can take your test at one of our official test centres on paper or on a computer. All you need is a valid identification document and a bank card if you want to pay online.
Tests we offer
|Test type||Fee (Ft)||Available test dates|
IELTS Academic or General Training - in Centre (paper or computer)*
|66,800||Find a test date
|IELTS Academic or General Training for UKVI - in Centre (paper or computer)*||74,700||Find a test date
|IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1) - in Centre **||59,500||Find a test date|
*Please make sure you book your desired format
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites. Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that British Council is spelt correctly.
To book your test, you will need to:
- Make sure you have a form of valid ID at hand, as you will need to upload a clear photocopy of it when you book your test. The ID can be your passport or an ID card issued in the European Union. If you are a non-EU citizen, you must also provide a copy of your visa. The document has to be valid on the test day and must be the one you registered on your test application. Please note that candidates under 18 years of age have to supply written consent by a parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
- Download and read our Information for Candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for test takers under the age of 16.
- Pay for your test. You can pay for your test either through our online registration system or via bank transfer. See detailed information about payment below.
- Complete your registration. Send all documents from steps 1. and 3. to us by e-mail. We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled. We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Payment options and methods
You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
- Via credit card online, immediately after filling out the online application form. Only VISA or Mastercard is accepted.
If you would like an invoice for your exam fee, please let us know before making the payment by sending an e-mail containing the following details: invoicing name, address, exam type, exam date, candidate name. In this case please do not make the payment before receiving the invoice.
We are unable to issue an invoice after the payment has been made or in case of online payment (VISA and Mastercard).
If you wish to receive an invoice for your exam fee, please choose bank transfer and follow the instructions below:
- Register for the exam.
- Choose the bank transfer method of payment.
- DO NOT transfer the fee until you have received the invoice from us.
In order to secure a place at the exam, we recommend registering at least two months prior to the exam date.
The Listening, Reading and Writing tests take place on the published exam day. The speaking test may take place on the same day, or up to 7 days before or 2 days after the published test day. Detailed information on the date, time and venue of all the IELTS components is normally sent out to candidates by e-mail no later than 10 calendar days before the written test day. If you do not receive this information in time, please write to email@example.com.
Requests for a specific speaking test date must be sent by e-mail. The request must be supported by evidence and has to be submitted at registration or within five calendar days after registration. To support a request for a specific speaking test day, the following documentation can be accepted:
- ID with residence details or an official letter showing the candidate’s name and address abroad or a long distance from Budapest
- airplane ticket or flight confirmation
- proof of planned medical treatment.
Please note that submitting a request and appropriate supporting documentation may still not guarantee being scheduled for the selected date, as requests are always considered with reference to the circumstances of the given exam session.
Once your booking is complete, you will receive the following emails:
Once you have completed the booking process, we received the test fee and your ID has been checked you will receive an automatic confirmation e-mail. The invitation to the test will be sent approx. 10 calendar days before the test, giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
After booking your test, you will also receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
You will also receive your IELTS Reference Number to access the Test Taker Portal. Please make sure that you have included your email address correctly when you book your test.